Re: [DotGNU]Message passing between webservices

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Message passing between webservices
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:05:07 +0530

If memory serves me right, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> You are talking about creating a new set of attributes (they are not
> implemented yet) that will allow for the specification of messages
> using c#?

DGEE is using [WebMethod] attribute for identifying exposed methods
right now ... would this be that different ? ...

Except for one major difference ... XmlRpc does not allow you to call
instance methods that well ... So the get_Property,set_Property does
not work very well ...

Though static properties should be settable , we have multiple VM
instances running and HTTP is stateless .. So

a.set_X(42);
print a.get_X();

might not always give 42 ... if it gets handled by different VMs in the
DGEE message buffer/scheduler ?.. This is the case for php or mod_perl
or cgi unless they use an external data store ...

This might be something we could add as a Goldwater server like DGEE
or something like the age old database server :) ... (IMHO a simple
hashed dictionary would be useful for small stuff, and a database for
the big & bulky) ..

Remote updation is risky business ... atomicity,reliability and concurrent
writes are some of the "well studied" problems ... my textbook instincts
suggests liberal use of locks....

> have long thought that C# is an ideal specification language for
> interfaces.

We're already doing with DGEE and the csdgmx tool... and using C# as
an interface specification language inline with the active code.

Gopal