Re: [DotGNU]dotgnu

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]dotgnu
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:14:09 +0530

If memory serves me right, Andrew wrote:

I'm talking about our CLR runtime right now ... which being the project
I'm involved with ...

> I think I read somewhere on this website that dotgnu uses SOAP.  I don't
> know much about the protocol other than it uses the HTTP port and XML and,
> the best part, it's routable.

Our C# libraries still doesn't support SOAP ... though we have our new
DGEE which is XmlRpc based and uses Apache to ensure stability. The DGEE
conducts all processing outside the Apache with a worker pool of engine
instances and a wee bit of queueing I think ...

The major problem stopping you from using SOAP is that our Xml parser is
half-baked (yeah, DGEE uses a hack to overcome that). As you can see in
the mails, minddog & _simon has been working on that ... and hopefully
we'll have a parser by this weekend ...

As of date, SOAP does not seem to be supported and when we do support
SOAP we'll probably support it via Jabber .. (_Simon is a jabber developer)
Asynchronous messaging is the coolest thing since ....well, sliced bread.
(though supporting it via HTTP is a requirement, Jabber is the preferred
 protocol).

> And that leads me to my first question.  Is it ready to use?

Considering the small fact that we still haven't tried building any
huge apps , I would be inclined to say "perhaps" ... But we're missing
important looking stuff like Threading and Reflection.Emit... We've
known that for about 1 month now ... But that'll all be fixed soon enough.
If you have some feature that you need desperately , we'll push that
as a Post 0.5.0 target for the Portable.Net runtime (0.5.0 will be this
weekend).

And about games , other than a half-hearted attempt to use the engine
for Quake2 scripting (I snitched most off q2java :) , no. I don't know if
that would qualify as a "Game" ... and I don't think this would qualify
either ...

http://minddog.shacknet.net:8080/hexpuzzle.dgmx

fire away with xmlrpc :-)

Gopal