Re: [DotGNU]JScript implementation

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]JScript implementation
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:02:46 +1000

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 07:46 am, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> Do you suppport dom? I think there are lots of tests out there. In fact
> millions of test pages....

Hold your horses ... it can't do "2 + 2 = 4" yet. :-)  But eventually,
anything that is in Microsoft's JScript language is fair game.  If that
includes dom, then ours will too.

> Anyway, looking forward to testing this.

And I'm looking forward to having testers.  Things should go very quickly once
the evaluator is in place.  That should be ready to check-in just after 0.5.0
goes out the door at the end of the week.

Language wise, we'll have to take this in stages:

- ECMAScript 3 support, including Object, Function, Array, String, etc
- Gluing to the C# base class library so the engine can call arbitrary
  methods in existing assemblies
- Adding function parmeter and variable types to the language
- Defining JScript classes, interfaces, etc
- Compile to IL (once Reflection.Emit is done)

Doing the evaluator first, before worrying about Emit, is going to be a wise
strategy.  It will help us bang the bugs out of the support code, and we have
to have it anyway to support "eval".

Personally, I think that "parse and run tree" is going to be faster than
"parse, compile to IL, reload, and run", but we'll see how it pans out
performance-wise as the pieces start falling into place.