[DotGNU]Portable.NET status 21 December 2002

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Portable.NET status 21 December 2002
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 15:31:16 +1000

Hi all!

The big news this week is that the mingw32 version is all checked into CVS and
seems to be working reasonably well.  No more hacks are needed to specify
assembly or plugin directories manually.

The glibc regex code has been integrated into pnet, which ensures that we will
have uniform regex behaviour across all platforms now.  Regex was also
integrated into ILCmdLineExpand, so that Win32 platforms have globbing
performed automatically, without needing any special library assistance from
"setargv".

Aditya has been working on System.IO, which has been steadily improving with
each patch.  Good work Aditya.

Gopal has been fixing compiler and runtime bugs in between exams: conversion
operators, attributes, nested class type gathering, and the infamous "won't
run csc-compiled Qt#" bug (can we get an update from the Qt# guys as to how
close we are to fully interoperable now?).  Gopal also integrated the Mono
System.Text.RegularExpressions library into pnetlib.

I was a bit slack in the latter part of the week, due to work commitments at
Trolltech.  But I'll be back on board DotGNU for the next two weeks.
System.Xml is my biggest outstanding issue, followed by pnetC.

We're planning on around mid-Jan for the 0.5.0 release, just before
linux.conf.au in Perth where I'll be giving a presentation on Portable.NET's
interpreter to the conference.

We're pretty much on track 0.5.0, but every little bit helps, so keep those
bugs and patches rolling in.