Re: [DotGNU]Contribution to DotGNU

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Contribution to DotGNU
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:50:11 -0500

First, php can be a wonderful tool for writing and deploying web services
quickly.  There had been some issues in the past with how free php 4 vs php 3
is, but I see nothing wrong with having a freely licensed php web services
framework and I certainly would encourage it's active and continued
development.

The question of where it fits into dotgnu specifically is a bit harder to
address.  In dotgnu, there is a desire for interoperation of web services.
One reason we have phpGroupware in dotgnu is because they standardize around
xmlrpc.  I am not sure if phpWebApp addresses such interoperation as well,
since I have not yet looked at it as yet, but I plan to do so.  However, if
the question were asked more broadly, in that could there be a very general
purpose GPL licensed php web services framework in dotgnu, I personally think
that question is yes.  I think you will find people have some ideas of what
they might wish to have such a framework do and would likely contribute code
to make such a framework work better in terms of creating interoperable
services.

As for the question of moving the project to Savannah, and what to do with
SourceForge, I would suggest leaving the existing (LGPL licensed)
distribution on SourceForge, since they are a tad slow in deleting projects
anyway, but put up information on your SF site that the project is being
re-introduced on Savannah, that it is now under GPL, and that it is being
activily maintained from Savannah.

David