Re: [DotGNU]Portable.NET Status 13 Dec 2002

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Portable.NET Status 13 Dec 2002
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 22:14:32 +0530

If memory serves me right, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> Gopal has been busy reorganising the compiler so that I can't
> recognize it any more.

Is that good or bad ? ;-)

> From what I can glean, he's fixed some name resolution issues,
> instance accesses with delegates, some verifier bugs, "using"
> statement, "typeof" expressions, pointer operators, "fixed"
> statement, base destructors, attributes, and method overrides.
> *phew*

Hmm.... maybe I'm in the pumped up state of exam season .... My brain
is out of hibernation ;)

I never realized I fixed so many things ... But keep the good bugs
coming folks , I'm still ready for more ... Typically there are 3
good bugs remaining and 1 set of features missing (pointers as arrays).
Of which the 2 good bugs can be worked around ... I'm working on the
3'rd ... But I may just be terribly wrong :-)

The good news is that I tried a few tests to see how the running time
of cscc grows when the number of useful statements increases .... And
to all my measurements it seems to be growing linearly ? ... And the
funny part is that my flow analysis code (which is terribly broken)
seems to be giving a linear increase as well ....

This surprises me as gcc tends to grow non-linearly and so does most
of the native compilers ....

Other than blaming the register allocator , I can only say one thing
"TreeCC" ..

Gopal