[DotGNU]Portable.NET Status 13 Dec 2002

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Portable.NET Status 13 Dec 2002
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 22:09:44 +1000

Hi all!

One of the big changes this week is that all C# code has been moved
out of pnet and into pnetlib.  We can now cleanly bootstrap off gcc
with no hand-holding required!  Woohoo!

I've been messing with System.Xml again this week.  Just need to
pound out the parsing routines now - pretty much all the support
code behind the scenes is rock solid now.

I've also been knocking off some minor platform bugs and featurettes.
I discovered that "isinf" was busted under Cygwin, leading to some
very weird floating-point bugs in the System.Xml test suite.  Our
"ilasm", "ildasm", and "ilalink" (hard-linked as "al") now understand
the MS command-line syntax, which should make it easier for people
to use them as drop-in replacements for the equivalent MS tools.

I also worked on the mingw32 version a bit, incorporating some
of James Michael's ideas, and a few of my own.  The CVS version
can now be built using "./configure --disable-cygwin", which
turns off the cygwin libraries and uses the mingw32 ones instead.
I can't guarantee that it will work yet - keep those bugs coming.

Gopal has been busy reorganising the compiler so that I can't
recognize it any more.  From what I can glean, he's fixed some
name resolution issues, instance accesses with delegates,
some verifier bugs, "using" statement, "typeof" expressions,
pointer operators, "fixed" statement, base destructors,
attributes, and method overrides.  *phew*

Rainer Groesslinger's German patches to pnetlib have been checked
into the CVS tree, and thanks to some hacks on my part, can be
loaded automatically if pnet is being run under a German locale.
Keep those other languages coming!  Pig latin anyone? :-)

Other bits and pieces from Thong Nguyen, David Dawkins, Aditya
P. Bansod, and Craig Altenburg.