Re: [DotGNU]Evil, Sick, and Wrong

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Evil, Sick, and Wrong
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:23:10 +0530

If memory serves me right, Glenn Chambers wrote:
> you can build a copy of "ilrun" that includes a (compiled!) Java runtime
> environment.

It's a definite possibility if we can get the issue of thread safety out .
Which is practically impossible from my knowledge of things related ...

> The biggest 'crock' here is using Pnet's libffi and Boehm collector

pthreads ... :-( ... Pinvoke & JNI ignore threads and IIRC, are executed
without threading ...

It is possible to write a full JVM with pnet without much fuss at all ..
All it needs are the right CVM convertors for the Java opcodes , and I
had started on one looong ago... (which got dumped because ,I lost my
HDD ...)

It should be relatively straight forward to implement a JVM verifier in
pnet .... declare a JLEngineType , write jlverify.c and all the jlverify_*.c
files from the ilverify counterparts ... All the framework is already
there , like type checking , stack size management , jump handling etc..
Someone just needs to read the JVM spec, drink lots of coffee and write
out the verifier and convert the opcodes to CVM ...

Now you just need to use reflection in Java to print out the wrappers ?.

Or use this doclet , I did quite sometime ago for the JILC work ... but
didn't feel like giving it away to GVaish & Co ... (since the Savannah
JILC project has been deleted).

$ javac -classpath = $JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar Standard.java
$ javadoc -doclet Standard StepOne.java

gives a nice file that looks awfully like C# ;-) .... But haven't tested
this recently , because I uninstalled the Blackdown port ...

Anyway , "Hello Java" and all that kind of wicked stuff ... :-)

Gopal