[DotGNU]Patent: coordinating the delivery of a gift

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: [DotGNU]Patent: coordinating the delivery of a gift
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:07:01 -0800

Off topic, but this is the sort of crap that gets me motivated, so I
thought I'd throw it out here and try to rile up some folks. :-)

First Amazon patents the concept of a "one-click purchase".  Now they
want to patent the concept of "coordinating the delivery of a gift".
 http://www.nypost.com/technology/64022.htm

(Yet another reason why I refuse to shop at Amazon...)

Someone please tell me how issuing 20-year government enforced
monopolies on concepts, ideas, or algorithms is good for competition
or in any way whatsoever encourages technological progress in a free
market.

For more information on the disturbing trend in patenting ideas read
James Gleick's excellent editorial in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20000312mag-patents.html

Eric