Re: [DotGNU]Path.[Alt]DirectorySeparatorChar

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Path.[Alt]DirectorySeparatorChar
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 17:07:26 +1000

"Dawkins, David" wrote:

> - ECMA contains a mistake (why have the alternate character the same as
>    the first?)
>
> - MSDN makes sense (although, I never encountered a Unix system that
>    accepted '\' as a directory separator character, although I'm going
>    to have to go try this now)

Unix doesn't accept '\' as a separator.  But we can make all this
academic by introducing a "normalize path" call to each of the
filesystem-related internalcalls which will turn both '/' and '\'
into the path separator of the underlying system.  Then it won't
matter what the separators are set to at the C# level.