RE: [DotGNU]Path.[Alt]DirectorySeparatorChar

From: Dawkins, David
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]Path.[Alt]DirectorySeparatorChar
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 01:44:27 -0500

Marcus says:

> In the docs on the ECMA site itself, the definitions are correct:
>
> "Path.DirectorySeparatorChar Field . . .  The value of this field is a
> backslash ('\') on Windows systems and a slash ('/') on Unix systems."

It's the definition Path.*Alt*DirectorySeparatorField that I am calling into
question.  The latest ECMA-335-xml.zip still says:

> "Path.AltDirectorySeparatorChar Field . . . The value of this field is a
> backslash ('\') on Windows systems and a slash ('/') on Unix systems."

Here are some tables that maybe illustrate the situation more clearly.

Hope you all read mail with fixed width fonts.

Path.DirectorySeparatorChar:

            | ECMA   MSDN  PNET
  ----------+---------------------
  Windows   |  \     \     \
  Unix      |  /     /     /

Path.AltDirectorySeparatorChar:

            | ECMA   MSDN  PNET
  ----------+---------------------
  Windows   |  \     /     /
  Unix      |  /     \     <none>

My opinion:

- ECMA contains a mistake (why have the alternate character the same as
   the first?)

- MSDN makes sense (although, I never encountered a Unix system that
   accepted '\' as a directory separator character, although I'm going
   to have to go try this now)

- PNET matches my experience with Windows and Unix

I'm beginning to feel obsessive now.

DavidD