Re: [DotGNU]password and walet facilities in KDE

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]password and walet facilities in KDE
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:02:11 +0530

Hi Bill,
Bill Lance <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Passport's wallet serivce. I think we needn't bother
> > much about it,
> > just another browser feature.
>
> My thought was that this might be a part of the dotgnu
> puzzle.  The KDE project is under GPL, isn't it?  And
> this is pointed at one of the user demands discussed
> sometime back,  not to mention one of MS's PR hypes
> for .NET and PASSPORT.
        Seems like you didn't get me .
-----------------------
        It meets the home user's demands but is *not* a single login
system for a number of sites. is *not* a credit card submission
without seeing it first in the form. This stuff is just a feature
for filling in forms & remembering entries the *next* time. But
you always have to push the *submit* button to send data.

        There is *no* online storage of your data. There is *no*
server verification. There is *no* vendor lock in application
providers. There is no server-side application or provider here ;)
--------------------

        One thing is lacking in all this , roaming profiles for
users. (dunno if Mozilla has pw-manager with roaming). This
is what M$ has. Login from any computer and access all your
passport sites from that computer without any other logins.
But I think M$ has compromised a lot to keep the single login.

        Microsoft is trying a single login scheme and is trying to
*sell* the idea/service to other sites. Yahoo already has such a
scheme , I can login @ Yahoo mail and simultaneously Yahoo.com
shows up as My Yahoo, Yahoo groups shows your mailing lists.
If I login using everybuddy (and I'm a machine with internet IP,
ie no firewall), Yahoo mail doesn't ask for a login. (But I
wouldn't trust my cc number to either of them)

        But Yahoo just isn't selling the service. But Passport is .
So I have reason to believe Passport is PR BS.

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success