Re: [DotGNU]Portable.NET Project List

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Portable.NET Project List
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:34:08 +1000

David Mazur wrote:

> So (to cut things short), I'd like to join the project by taking care of
> the .po support for resgen.

First come, first served.  If you want to take this on, that
would be great.  Karthik Kumar has also volunteered,
off-list, to look into ildiff.  Any volunteers for the
documentation converters?

> Maybe a few questions, before I start anything.
>
> I have no experience yet in working with open source projects, so how
> do I do submit changes, improvements, etc... ? Just with the CVS provided
> by sourceforge ? Basically, how the whole development process takes place
> ?

Because these are small projects, we can handle it this way:

Check out the CVS sources from savannah.gnu.org using
an anonymous CVS account.  Then work on your own copy,
making changes and testing locally.  When you are done,
send me the patches via e-mail, or through the patch
manager on savannah.gnu.org.  Use "cvs diff -c filename"
to make the diff so that it is in a suitable format to use
with "patch".

I'm constantly working inside the tree, so I suggest that
you do a "cvs update -d" at least once every 24 or 48 hours
to ensure that you are in sync with my copy.

When we move onto more significant projects, I will allocate
CVS commit accounts to those working on the code.  But they
aren't necessary for the smaller projects.

> Any info's I should absolutely know before starting any work ? (I've read
> most on the info from the website (not much yet ;-))

Because you are looking into the .po format, I suggest you
start with the description of the file format within the
GNU gettext documentation.  "info gettext" should give
you that on a GNU/Linux system.  Look under "Basics"
and then "PO Files".