[DotGNU]Re: Support for Java bytecode - high priority project - pnet

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: Support for Java bytecode - high priority project - pnet
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:38:55 +1000

Karthik Kumar wrote:

>   As the author of the pnet package can you please
> tell me what is the current status of JVM
> implementation for the DotGNU platform ? Has any work
> been started in this regard ? Has that been integrated
> with the pnet project ?

Some code exists to load .class and .jar files into
the pnet system, but little else at the moment.
The approach that I'm taking is to have the IL and
JVM parts of the system share most of the core
functionality (GC, native methods, code management),
and to have two separate interpreter co-loops in
the middle that understand the two bytecode formats.

If you want to look into this, then think about what
it would take to build the JVM interpreter loop, but
don't get too excited about GC, native methods, etc,
because I'm working on that on the IL side and you'll
be able to reuse it.