Re: [DotGNU]Would you like any Jabber with your dotGNU?

From: Adam Theo
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Would you like any Jabber with your dotGNU?
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:10:35 -0400

David Sugar wrote:

> Jabber is a very interesting bit of work.  I recall having the
> impression it is under bsd-like license, or at least not something alien
> to free software.

actually, it's now very important to make the distinction between
Jabber-the-protocol, and the implimentations of that protocol (such as
servers, clients, etc...). it's now become that proper terminology calls
the protocol itself, nothing else, 'Jabber', and that is what i think
dotGNU will be interested in.

now, there is also the Jabber Open Source Server (JOSS), which was the
first, and probably is the best, implimentation of Jabber. it is
licensed under the Jabber Open Source License (JOSL), which i believe is
mozilla-like... it's not GPL-compatible, though. so what i, and i am
sure the majority of jabberites, would like to see is dotgnu work on
it's own jabber/dotgnu server. thankfully there are plenty of
GPL-covered jabber clients..... it's just the server you'll need to do.
and thankfully a jabber server is really easy to do. it's when you start
getting into 'transports' to gateway between jabber and other networks
such as AIM, ICQ, MSN, IRC, etc... that things start getting
complicated.

> I do think it is worth looking at and our goal in
> dotgnu is not to re-invent everything but to assure that the results of
> dotgnu and/or those projects dotgnu integrates are and will remain free
> software.  Actually I had looked once before at Jabber, and perhaps
> having it fill some role in Bayonne and gnucomm, particularly in
> presence management and provisioning of ip phone users.

hm, what are gnucomm and bayonne? sounds interesting.

hope to see alot of people there.