Re: [DotGNU]Re: .GNU

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: .GNU
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 20:18:56 -0400

I also tend to believe that DNS is a closer technical model to what we wish to achieve. What DNS itself lacks is a convenient mechanism for finding or establishing alternate root servers. If we chose a DNS-like model, I think we should also look at correcting that one oversight. I have no objection to there being established centralized authentication authorities so long as the means to establish one are fully open and can be done at any level. A company might wish to retain the integrety of it's business by being it's own authentication authority, for example, but still have people participate in larger internet based ones. The key is both assuring data only migrates where people want it to be, and that anyone is free and open to establishing services, rather than establishing a single authority or monopoly, which, in the end, is also very poor technology since it's also a single point of failure.

David

Mike Warren wrote:

Matthew Copeland <address@hidden> writes:

The only problem with this, is that it isn't true.  DNS isn't really
non-centralized.  Remember, someone controls those Root nameservers,
and if you have ever had dealings with those people, you would know
that they can be a real pain to deal with.  Secondarily, some
company controls those root name servers, do you want the the same
things for this?  I sure don't.  I think we need to look beyond
using DNs as our metaphor, and find or create a new meaphor for this
work.

Anyone can start a root server, and there are additional root servers
already which provide naming service outside of .com, .org, .net and
the country-level domains. Similarly, anyone is free to use the DNS
servers they like, including different root servers.

It seems to me that the analog is good, since there will likely be
some ``large'' and well-trusted identity services as part of a DotGNU
network which many people will use. There will also be smaller or
less-trusted ones which fewer people will use.