RE: [DotGNU]Comments on distributed file system DFS

From: Peter Waldschmidt
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]Comments on distributed file system DFS
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:20:00 -0400

Another issue to consider is reliability.  If data is truly to be
"striped" across several nodes (which I am assuming could be distributed
across the Internet), then the reliability statistics have a
multiplicative effect.  i.e. if only one machine crashes, most, if not
all, of the data is taken offline.

I think that this scheme, in order to be successful, must include a
strategy for automatically duplicating data across nodes in an
intelligent manner.  There are papers and examples of this.

Peter Waldschmidt