Modifying existing GNURadio blocks

From: Kimmo Lehtinen
Subject: Modifying existing GNURadio blocks
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 00:00:32 +0000 (UTC)

I would like to make modifications to the following two GNURadio blocks:

1) QT GUI number sink
-------------------------------
I would like to modify it so that it can also display integers and strings. Currently it can display floats, shorts and bytes.
I raised an issue about this at the Github page of GNURadio, and I got the following reply:
"A number of GR blocks infer type from item size, and that's what this block does (in its constructor). Unfortunately, float and int32 are the same size, so int32 is not usable.
It would be possible to add another constructor that uses an explicit type instead of item size."

If displaying strings, there is no sense to have a bar graph, which is currently an option in the 'QT GUI number sink' block. Thus, there could be a separate block for displaying strings, without an option for a bar graph.

2) QT GUI time raster sink
I would like to modify it so that the parameters 'x-axis start value' and 'x-axis end value' can be changed during runtime.
For example, in the 'QT GUI vector sink' block the corresponding parameters can be changed during runtime.

I understand that the best way to make the modifications is to change the code and then recompile the whole GNURadio.

The problem is that I cannot write C++ code...
Is there anyone willing to change the code ?   Or at least give good instructions how to do that.

I think these modifications would be useful also to other GNURadio users :-)

Cheers, Kimmo