Cannot build OOT from macos

From: Joan Solà Ortega
Subject: Cannot build OOT from macos
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 12:09:08 +0100

Hi!

I have been using gnuradio for a while on my macos M2, including the creation and compilation of out-of-tree modules or OOT.

Today, after a few months inactive, I tried ro re-compile my OOT blocks. Something must have been changed in the system during this time, since I cannot now compile.

I post the error message, and then my system configuration. (Sorry I do not know how to format code properly for the mailing list archives to print nicely)

----

(allaus) xxx@yyy build % make -j1

[ 10%] Building CXX object lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-iri_arva_clean.dir/parallel_adapted_iir_cvf_impl.cc.o

In file included from /Users/jsola/dev/allaus/allaus-gnuradio/gr-iri_arva_clean/lib/parallel_adapted_iir_cvf_impl.cc:8:

In file included from /Users/jsola/mambaforge/envs/allaus/include/gnuradio/io_signature.h:16:

/Users/xxx/mambaforge/envs/allaus/include/spdlog/fmt/fmt.h:27:14: fatal error: 'spdlog/fmt/bundled/core.h' file not found

#    include <spdlog/fmt/bundled/core.h>

             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 error generated.

make[2]: *** [lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-iri_arva_clean.dir/parallel_adapted_iir_cvf_impl.cc.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [lib/CMakeFiles/gnuradio-iri_arva_clean.dir/all] Error 2

make: *** [all] Error 2

----

I am working with Airspy modules. The whole setup was installed in my machine via conda/mamba, in a completely dedicated conda environment. This is all I have:

1. Create a conda environment
mamba create -n allaus
mamba activate allaus
mamba env config vars set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/miniforge3/envs/allaus // use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH if on MacOS
mamba activate allaus

2. Install all required packages
mamba install -c conda-forge cmake pybind11 libusb boost libairspyhf airspyhf soapysdr-module-airspyhf gnuradio

3. build
cd allaus-gnuradio
cd gr-iri_arva_clean
mkdir build
cd build
cmake --install-prefix=~/miniforge3/envs/allaus ..
make -j5

affter which the reported error occurs.

With these exact steps I could compile my OOT modules some months ago. These modules were created following the gnuradio instructions here.

I tried to trace back the error to spdlog, with no luck.

Any ideas ?

Thank you!

Joan