Re: Code::Blocks and FIR pm_remez algorithm

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: Code::Blocks and FIR pm_remez algorithm
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 09:45:09 -0400

On 01/10/2023 01:06, Nic Bretz wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Frankly, I don't know what I don't know, even after hours of online searches.

I've never seen an instance in an IDE where some folders are displaying and others, at the same level, are not. For somebody like me, new to GNU radio and CB, it's impossible to know if the issue is a quirk of the IDE or the software.

I've chosen CB because that's what I read about in the wiki. I tried VS Code but I couldn't get it to build, let alone run. At least CB builds.

The GNU Radio wiki is quite informative. For users. There is hardly anything in there for developers. I know, we figure out things, eventually. Except when we get stuck and run in circles. I spent hours of my spare time trying to get basic things to work, hours that I actually wanted to spend on algorithms.
Since Gnu Radio is *primarily* a *development framework* for developers of signal-processing software, one could argue
  that the entirety of the documentation is aimed at developers.  I'll just pick some random examples:

https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/BlocksCodingGuide

https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php?title=Creating_C%2B%2B_OOT_with_gr-modtool

https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php?title=Creating_Your_First_Block

Gnu Radio uses a bunch of underlying tools, like C++ and its compilers, Python, CMake, make, pybind11, etc, etc, etc.  What
  you WONT find is detailed tutorials on each of those tools within the Gnu Radio documentation hierarchy.   Information on each
  of those tools is better served in other forums, and, like most Open Source projects, Gnu Radio has limited resources.  It would be,
  quite honestly, wasteful of those resources to provide detailed tutorials on each of the tools that the Gnu Radio project uses.

I don't know why Code::Blocks isn't "seeing" the Gnu Radio code tree.  That, I'm nearly 100% certain, isn't the fault of
  the Gnu Radio code tree.  There's nothing particularly "special" about it.   It is, after all, just a hierarchy of files, like
  any other file hierarchy in the history of ever.  If your editor of choice cannot see that hierarchy, it is likely not the
  fault of said hierarchy, at least, in my experience.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.