Re: Total SDR Newbie

From: Kevin McQuiggin
Subject: Re: Total SDR Newbie
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 09:01:10 -0700

Hi Arnie:

Welcome!  Marcus gave good advice.  SDRs still rely on the physical world to
transmit and decode signals.  This means that there will always be issues with
things like noise, interference, and propagation problems: the same things that
affect analog radio.  Amateur radio experience (or study of material like the
ARRL Handbook, as Marcus suggests) can help you as a newbie to understand the
constraints that the physical world place on radio systems.  SDRs can describe
radio systems mathematically to great accuracy, but that does not mean that
these systems will function well in the physical world unless you design them
to be able to.

Many people from the software world come to SDR experimentation and are
surprised when their working “flowgraph” (the gnuradio term for a radio system)
suddenly stops working when they take it out of simulation and hook it up to
real SDR hardware that transmits and receives actual radio signals.
Interference, phase errors and the like come to the fore and the flowgraph
doesn’t work anymore.  This is usually because the designer did not take
physical world factors into account in the system's design.

The commonality in the messages we see here could be paraphrased as “everything
worked really well in my flowgraph, but it doesn’t work at all after I hooked
the flowgraph up to a physical SDR.  Help!"

An understanding of basic radio, propagation and interference issues can help
you design an SDR system that is able to cope with all the real world issues.
That is part of the fun of working on this stuff!  Experimentation is what it
is all about when you are starting out.

On the DSP side, I’ll give you another reference book.  It is free and
available online.  It’s called “The Scientist’s and Engineer’s Guide to Digital
Signal Processing” by Steve Smith.  It’s at http://www.dspguide.com/.  I found
it online when I was starting out, and liked it so much that I bought a
hardcopy.

Hope this info helps,

Kevin