Re: Total SDR Newbie

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: Total SDR Newbie
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:15:58 -0400

On 27/07/2023 10:41, Arnie Shore wrote:
While I have experience developing free, Open Source software in other environments like Computer-Aided Dispatch, Gnu radio has piqued my current interest.  Me and hardware haven't gotten along too well over the years -- I barely have a handle on Ohm's law -- but SDR  has my current attention.

I wonder if you can point me at interesting/useful postings/articles for me to get a handle on some practical examples.  Thanks, all.

AS
The Gnu Radio website has some tutorials:

https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Tutorials

Also, you'll likely want to give yourself some knowledge in radio in general, and for that I'd recommend the first   few chapters of the ARRL Radio Amateurs Handbook.   It's quite accessible.  Any edition published in the last 30
  years is fine.

The "software" aspect of Software Defined Radio doesn't really relieve you of the burden of understanding how radio   and radios work.  It just trades boxes of electronic components for software components.

Now, maybe it's the case that you aren't interested in *developing* SDR bits and pieces, but just want an SDR-based   "casual airwave surfing" application--in which case, there are a plethora of apps out there, like GQRX, SDR++, etc, etc.