Resource issues when trying to record 2 FM broadcast stations

From: Martin Lefkowitz
Subject: Resource issues when trying to record 2 FM broadcast stations
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 08:40:22 -0700

I  haven't spent a whole lot of time working with gnuradio.  I'm not a DSP engineer.  I am however a software engineer that has dealt with signals so not completely a laymen, but I am out of my comfort zone.

I  had successfully created this project about 4 years ago using Marcus Leech's Stereo FM Radio implementation and grafting it into the front design of this  the multiple station receiver design. Described here

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/multiple-fm-station-receiver.341340/#lg=_xfUid-2-1556650274&slide=0

I recorded 2 pirate radio stations at a 4 day music festival. Started the recording on Thursday.  Stopped it on Sunday.  The sample rate was 2.4M.  I created an Heir block that had the appropriate parts of Marcus Leech's Stereo FM radio in it.  and replaced everything from the xlating FIR to the multiply const in the second block figure above with the heir block, and added some WXQT blocks to handle the gui for 2 stations like wav sinks, file names, etc.  It was successful, but one thing that did happen was I needed to go from a Acer 720 (celeron) with Gallium installation to an (older) I5 laptop.

I let that project sit for a couple of years.  The first thing I did when I got back to it was upgrade everything.  Big mistake... Nothing worked after that.  I got grc 3.10 running with radioconda.  I swapped Marcus's implementation out for Zan's fm_stereo_demod_clean

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/multiple-fm-station-receiver.341340/#lg=_xfUid-2-1556650274&slide=0

http://zansprojects.blogspot.com/2019/05/stereo-fm-receiving-with-rtl-sdr-and.html

In this new implementation I needed to create a series of variables to handle the design issue of having the signal be a multiple of 48k for the audio sink to be the correct speed.  In particular the decimations in the rational resampler.This worked, but when I changed the sample rate to widen the bandwidth to receive 2 stations further apart on the FM band than 1Mhz I ran into performance issues.  Basically with my setup the CPU load is about 90% with a sample rate of 1.24 Mhz.

I was able to do this because of the great work done by the people mentioned above, but figuring out how to deal with the performance issues is kind of beyond the disciplines I am familiar with.  I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to get fm_stereo_demod_clean to have better performance.  I did not see an updated version of the Marcus Leech design so I figured there was something blocking that update, but maybe that is incorrect. I am also wondering if I could get a more powerful laptop/NUC and make it work with brute force by throwing money at the project.  I would love to hear any suggestions from people with more grc and dsp experience, or which path I should take now.

Thanks in advance

Marty