demexp-dev

votes and tags in the web not in synch with server Re: [Demexp-dev] Ques

From: Augustin
Subject: votes and tags in the web not in synch with server Re: [Demexp-dev] Question about tags, tags updating and timestamp.
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:44:43 +0800

On Saturday 14 October 2006 04:48 am, David MENTRE wrote:
> "ketty ." <address@hidden> writes:
> > It would be neat with timestamps attached to the subelements of a
> > question (tags, answers, result, total votes) . That way you could check
> > if a question contains more answers since last time you checked, but
> > ignore result and total votes. Or is this allready possible?
>
> No, currently is attached to the whole question. If you need to know
> what has changed, you need to keep the old data structure.

My concern is not to know WHAT has changed, but WHEN anything has changed.

I don't know what you exactly mean when you say that the cgi is stateless, but
the reason I asked is that I know of a few situations when the web site will
not be completely consistent with the data in the server.

There are two situations that I can think of, right now:

1) new vote on a question.
The timestamp of a question is updated only when there is a new answer, but
not when there is a new vote.
I cannot and will not contact the server each time someone wants to view a
question on the web, just to make sure that it has the proper nb of votes
displayed, and, what's more, the proper result.
On the web, each time someone votes, I reload the whole question, so if you
use the web to vote, you will see the number of votes increasing straight
away, and, maybe, the result change, too.
But if someone votes with another client, I don't know it... until an answer
is added, or someone votes with the web.

I don't think it is a critical issue for stage one. Enough people will vote on
the web so that the questions are going to get updated anyway.
But later, I'll need a timestamp for when votes change.

2) new tags on a question.
Similarly, I am not sure but it seems that the timestamp of a question is not
updated if one or more tags are attached to it, or if a tag has changed
description.
Again, the tags will be updated each time someone votes on a question, or the
question is being updated.
But otherwise, I don't know of any incoming new tags, so the questions on the
web will not be accurately tagged.
Once more, it is not critical enough for stage 1, but it would have to be
sorted fairly soon after that.

3) When a tag is updated (the label changes), is there a method to have the
list of all the questions which have this tag?

A.

--
http://www.wechange.org/
Because we and the world need to change.

http://www.reuniting.info/
Intimate Relationships, peace and harmony in the couple.

http://www.gnosis-usa.com/
Revolutionary Psychology, White Tantrism, Dream Yoga...

http://www.masquilier.org/
Condorcet, Approval alternative, better voting methods.