demexp-dev

Re: [Demexp-dev] Possible suggestions for the client

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Possible suggestions for the client
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:50:16 +0200

Hello Thomas,

Easy answers first...

Thomas Petazzoni <address@hidden> writes:

>  o Currently, when one wants to start using demexp, it has to run the
> client three times. First to configure the root login, then to create
> its own account, and finally to login with this new account. It would be
> much nicer if the user could use a « Wizard », launched the first time
> the client is run, to create its own account.

In fact, the user creating its own account is not the usual behavior of
demexp. The account should be created by the administrative domain
running the server. This is the only way to ensure that an account is
assigned to a physical person (or any entitity that should be allowed to
vote).

The current create-your-account behaviour is only done to avoid us the
burden of creating accounts for others on the demo server.

> One detail; question 149 has tag "question 149", but I can't see this
> tag in the list on the left. (There are other questions in the same
> case, why ?).

All question specific tags (following pattern ^question_\d+$) are
created automatically by the server at each question creation. When
delegation will work, they will allow to delegate or avoid delegation of
a specific question. They could also be used to link question together.

Those tags can be seen in the Classification window. They are hidden to
the user to avoid cluttering the tag list with unneeded tags. Of course,
they could be displayed if one day we/I implement more sophisticated tag
display.

For your other questions, we need to think about it. Fred and Félix have
expressed similar concerned regarding the use of V, N and U columns. The
ideal thing would be to have an editor for columns attributes. The
saving of window position would also be useful. And overall having a
display more similar to email readers would be nice but, well, this is
not that easy to implement[1]. :(

Yours,
d.

Footnotes:
[1]  And if others want to implement a better client in another language
     like Python, I'm ready to help them, put this client in the
     official tree and, why not, make it the official client.

--
pub  1024D/A3AD7A2A 2004-10-03 David MENTRE <address@hidden>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A