demexp-dev

[Demexp-dev] Re: CDuce and its QPL v1.0 license

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: CDuce and its QPL v1.0 license
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:18:36 +0200

Hello Alain,

Alain Frisch <address@hidden> writes:

> Ok, I have discussed the possibility of changing the license of
> CDuce. There is no objection, so it will be possible to use another
> license for next releases.

Very great news!

> I'm currently in favour of a BSD-like license, but I need to think
> about it. Any comment or suggestion ?

I would tend to favor licenses already recognized as free software
licenses by the FSF.

On the relevant FSF page:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

Following BSD-like licenses are mentionned:

X11 License
http://www.x.org/Downloads_terms.html
    This is a simple, permissive non-copyleft free software license,
    compatible with the GNU GPL. Older versions of XFree86 used the same
    license, and some of the current variants of XFree86 also do. Later
    versions of XFree86 are distributed under the XFree86 1.1 license
    (which is GPL-incompatible).

    This license is sometimes called the "MIT" license, but that term is
    misleading, since MIT has used many licenses for software.

Expat License.
http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt
    This is a simple, permissive non-copyleft free software license,
    compatible with the GNU GPL. It is sometime ambiguously referred to
    as the MIT License.

Boost Software License
http://www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt
    his is a simple, permissive non-copyleft free software license,
    compatible with the GNU GPL.

As I'm not a lawyer so I won't give precise advice. I cannot tell the
differences between them. However, the Boost license, already mentionned
by John, is indeed quite simple and clear.

If you have questions, you can ask them the the FSF legal team:
 address@hidden

They say explicitely on above page: "If you want help choosing a
license, evaluating a license, or have any other questions about
licenses, you can email us at <address@hidden>."

If you have further questions, do not hesitate to ask them, privately or
on address@hidden

> Anyway, let me know about your experience with CDuce...

I think we will give it a try and thus give you some feedback.

Once again, many thanks for your consideration of this licensing issue
and your (CDuce team) new license proposal.

Yours,
david
--
pub  1024D/A3AD7A2A 2004-10-03 David MENTRE <address@hidden>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A