debian-sf-users

Re: [Debian-sf-users] newbie questions

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-users] newbie questions
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:25:34 +0200

David Hirst (2002-10-15 14:52:58 -0400) :

> Being new to Debian and SF I had a couple newbie question that I was
> hoping could be answered. First off in order to user SF, I have to
> be able to support extremely large amounts of disk space for the
> projects that will be managed by SF (potentially upwards of a few
> terabytes) what options are there for supporting an installation of
> this size? I have infrastructure available that can already support
> these space requirements.

  Well, Sourceforge itself makes no assumptions on the size of your
storage.  If you can get Linux (as in "the kernel and the libc") to
understand about your terabytes, SF will happily use them.  If you
install a relatively recent Debian system (I think latest stable
should be enough), then you'll most probably have no problem.  Just
mount the appropriate partitions on appropriate mountpoints, and
you'll be fine.

  By the way, if/when you get your terabyte SF working, be sure to
tell us about it, we'd love to be able to brag about it :-)

> Secondly, the installation will be inside a firewall so I was
> wondering if the chroot environment is needed for SF to function
> properly?

  Actually, I'm not sure the chroot is really used.  It's created, but
it's only used for the pserver anonymous CVS access method, which you
hardly use anyway since it's a read-only access method.  And you can
disable it by hand if needed.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

prw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jan  1  1970 This-is-not-a-pipe|