debian-sf-users

Re: [Debian-sf-users] Any ldap help at all?

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-users] Any ldap help at all?
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 22:20:48 +0100

Tim Uckun (2002-01-04 13:36:25 -0700) :

> What happened.
>
> I installed stable.
> I upgraded to testing.

Fair enough.

> I did an apt-get install sourceforge.
> I answered every question.
>
> What didn't work.
>
> libapache-mod-ssl  is still broken.
[...]
> LDAP is simply broken.
[...]
> so now what? There no ldif files anaywhere. Should I uninstall
> everything and try and reinstall it? should I wipe the system
> re-install from scratch? Should I upgrade to unstable?  Can anybody
> give me a clue?

The problem is that it's hard to know whether Sourceforge is broken,
seeing that it tries to install on a broken system.  I would suggest
the following:

1. Purge sourceforge and the packages it depends on (mainly slapd and
   libapache-mod-ssl);

2. Get slapd correctly installed.  Do not proceed to step 3 before you
   have a conf file and a database.  If it does not install
   automatically when you give correct answers to the questions, see
   if the bug is referenced on <URI:http://bugs.debian.org/slapd>,
   submit a bug report if there isn't one already, contact the slapd
   maintainer.  Bash him over the head until the bug is fixed (either
   his or yours, depending on the outcome of the discussion).

3. Proceed similarly with libapache-mod-ssl.

4. Proceed similarly with all other packages I might have forgotten.

5. Proceed similarly with sourceforge.  If you know the other packages
   are correctly installed and configured, do not hesitate to bash me
   over the head with my bug if it still won't install.

6. (Optional) Purge again, and retry the one-step installation of
   Sourceforge on a slapd-less, ssl-less system.

  I'm sorry I can't be of much more help there...

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Reincarnation likes a joke as much as the next philosophical hypothesis.
  -- in The Truth (Terry Pratchett)