dazuko-help

Re: [Dazuko-help] kmail corrupts index file with dazukofs

From: Lino Sanfilippo
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-help] kmail corrupts index file with dazukofs
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 18:26:56 +0200

>On 2009-05-05, E. Kuemmerle <address@hidden> wrote:
>> After looking into the source code of kmail, I suppose that the
> >problem is caused by the use of the mmap function in kmail.
>>
> >There is a hint in the README file of dazukofs, that mmap doesn't
> >work correctly with dazukofs.  I think, that issue should be solved
> >to make dazukofs ready for productive use!

Hi,

first of all thank your for this bug report Eberhard!

Your assumption that mmap does not (yet) work correctly with dazukofs
is right.

>The testing version 3.0.1-rc1 provides full mmap support. However it
>does not (yet?) include patches for the various Linux distributions.
>
>John Ogness

Unfortunately dazukofs 3.0.1-rc1 only supports reading via mmap().
Writing is still unsupported. Seemingly this is exactly the problem with
applications like kmail, that try to write (or copy) files via mmap()
(probably for performance reasons).

I think a first quick fix could be to make dazukofs return an error
if a process attempts to write via mmap(). Normally applications
should be able to handle this and switch to write() system calls.

@John
what do you think about a solution like this?

Greetings,
Lino Sanfilippo

Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter: Tjark Auerbach
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Tettnang
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 630992
ALLGEMEINE GESCHÄFTSBEDINGUNGEN
Es gelten unsere Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen
(AGB). Sie finden sie in der jeweils gültigen Fassung
im Internet unter http://www.avira.de/agb