Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS
Date: 22 Feb 2002 02:04:28 +0000

Julian Scheid <address@hidden> writes:

> Sounds OK. Would you care about setting up some configure.in and
> Makefile.in appropriately? Alex do you agree?

It's very simple to set up my makefile for most projects.

> > I am (just now in fact) working on some autoconf macros for java
> > support, stuff like an AC_PROG_JAVAC and so forth. The resulting
> > macros will be usable to configure the makefile.
> >
> > Who knows? My java rules might eventually make it into automake, but
> > for now the Makefile is easily maintained separately.
>
> Cool! I've been thinking of that too. Are you also looking to support
> all different compilers and VMs? Have you seen Stephanos work?

I haven't seen Stephano's work. I'm trying to support multiple
compilers (not VMs - this isn't a runtime tool).

Basically what I'm trying to do is write macros that look like the C
ones, eg:

AC_PROG_JAVA_CC
AC_PROG_JAVA_JAR
AC_PROG_JAVA_DOC
AC_JAVA_CLASSPATH(class, iftrue, iffalse, path)
AC_JAVA_EXTDIR(jarfile, iftrue, iffalse, extpath)

I gather it will get easier to add these to autoconf as new versions
become popular. However, right now it's pretty easy to put these
into aclocal.m4 in every java project.

> My preferred approach is to have a conveniently named shell script
> which does something like
> #!/bin/sh
> /path/to/java very.long.package.name.MainClass $*
>
> For example, this makes it possible to invoke Gjdoc similar to
> Javadoc, without having to say "java" first.

Yes. But not everyone wants that. I have a ton of class libs
installed in /usr/local/share/java. I generate my classpath from them
(see below the signature, it's a really cool way to get an extdir)
and just use the command line tool.

Some people I know use Linux features to automatically call the vm
when the command line sees the class file magic number, giving class
files the same status as perl or tcl.

I don't disagree with the shell script, but it is only one part of
the whole solution.

Nic

PS
Here's my extdir generator:

  CLASSPATH=`ls /usr/local/share/java/*.jar | tr [:space:] :`

Try it, it's pretty cool.