Re: [certi-dev] CERTI 3.4.1 conflict with Qt application?

From: Jan-Patrick Osterloh
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] CERTI 3.4.1 conflict with Qt application?
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 09:37:03 +0100

Hi,

--- Quoted from Eric Noulard (Date: 13.11.2013 07:50): ---
> 2013/11/11 YangJing <address@hidden>:
>> Hi,Bob:
>>        I am the Chinese CERTI user,posted to you several days ago.In that
>> mail I said that I got debug message about 'libRTI:Network Read Error
>> waiting RTI reply' while constructing RTIambassador object In my Qt
>> application.
>>       Today I created two test projects in order to figuring out what is the
>> real reason why CERTI library would fail in Qt application.And I found
>> something.
>>       My A test project is a simple console app,B test project is a simple
>> Qt app.They use the same set of files(the files's main aim is to create
>> local federation ambassador ,join the RTI ,and publish some object types  or
>> subscribe some object message)which using CERTI library.Now A app can run
>> correctly but B app fail sometimes.
>>        If I use a static RTIambassador object,I can get debug message'Error
>> while receiving UN message'.SocketUN line 362.    If I use dynamic
>> RTIambassador object,I can get two different debug messages,one is
>> 'libRTI:Network Read Error waiting RTI reply',the other is 'Cannot connect
>> to RTIA'.
>>       Could you help me to tell me what is the fucking wrong whit my
>> application?
> It is really difficult to say without having a sample project to play with.
> May be you can post a minimalistic project which shows the error?
> I may be able to try it on Linux.
>
> May be the problem comes from the fact that RTIambassador forks a RTIA
> process then wait for some time
> and then tries to connect to RTIA which should be listening to its
> federate connection.
>
> May be from within a Qt application the "wait" timing is wrong.
>
> This is just a wild guess though.
> May be other CERTI users can react about their experience of mixing Qt
> with CERTI.

When I have this error, I normally forgot to start RTIG :-)

Windows or Linux?

I've no experience with Qt, but here some more hints/questions from my
experience:
Does this error happens always, or sporadic?

If always: Check if B alone can connect to RTI. If not, then check if
all dependencies (shared libs) and RTIA can be found, and if they have
the correct version. Is everything compiled with the same compiler
(CERTI, App A, App B)? Check if RTIA for app B is started at all. You
could enable debugging of RTIA, for example by setting the one or more
of the following environment variables (maybe Eric can better say which
flags to enable):
set RTIA=A:C:D:E:G:I:M:P:R:S:T:W:X:Z
set RTIA_COMM=A:C:D:E:G:I:M:P:R:S:T:W:X:Z
set RTIA_FM=A:C:D:E:G:I:M:P:R:S:T:W:X:Z
set RTI_EXCEPTION=A:C:D:E:G:I:M:P:R:S:T:W:X:Z
Check if in the output something about the error is mentioned...

If it happens sporadic: Could be a threading problem, causing the timing
problem Eric described above...you could try to separate the HLA
communication in an extra thread.

Best
Jan-Patrick

--
Dipl. Inform. Jan-Patrick Osterloh
FuE Bereich Verkehr | R&D Division Transportation

OFFIS
FuE Bereich Verkehr | R&D Division Transport
Escherweg 2 - 26121 Oldenburg - Germany
Phone/Fax: +49 441 97 22-524/502
E-Mail: address@hidden