RE: [certi-dev] Port numbers

From: Gotthard,Petr
Subject: RE: [certi-dev] Port numbers
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 23:52:27 +0200

Hello,
my two cents:

> Still CERTI seems to be the sole OpenSource HLA RTI wich is
> written in a language to be compiled into 'real' binaries.
> Therefore I think it might be adequate to have a try at
> negotiating these port numbers with IANA as "Private Ports".
> This doesn't make these ports "registered"
> ones, but at least it carries the use of these ports into the public.
> You still could aim at negotiating registered numbers, but
> you might have to choose different numbers then (1024 - 49151).

Every HLA RTI implementation uses different port numbers, so federates
need to be manually configured. I guess this has not been an issue so
far because the simulations have hundreds of parameters anyway (who
cares if there's one more?). On the other hand, e.g. an air traffic
simulation requires a bigger amount of identical federates, possibly
distributed around the world. For this kind of simulation we will
probably need a more easily configurable and easily deployable HLA
environment.
I think that non-expert users expect a good user-guide, a plug-and-play
configuration and firewall/NAT friendly transports like HTTP or SSH
tunnels. (If nobody is faster, I will try to implement this for some of
the future CERTI releases.) As long as the application works the users
don't really care if it's using a IANA registered port number, or not.

Regards,
Petr