bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Implementing Thin Clients

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Implementing Thin Clients
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:56:44 +0200

Hi:
I love it when people give me this much info. Thanks Arash, as always.

OK, very informative email. I crave to setup lab like the one in your
university, however, I can't. I have been to a couple of faculties
here, CS, IT, and EE, and well, from what I have seen, it's mostly just
standalone PCs. There is one lab, dedicated to client-server computing,
and I haven't been there and I don't know what they are using. And I
haven't also been to the math department. However, other labs just use
standalone whitebox PCs. a very unsatisfactory soloution, as you can
imagine.

I am talking about labs here, which students; normal students use in
order to perform their everyday tasks. I'm talking about web browsing,
email, office, and so on.

I am aware or the limitation of x86 architechture, however, guess what?
it's cheap. Sun is great, I have always loved sun, but their cheap low
end servers are very slow these days, so slow that a p4 whill toast in.
And their high end systems, although great, and technically superior
than anything in the market, are very expensive.

My department wanted to buy 100 standalon PCs, to add to the current
laboratories in the IT department. We have about 5000 of these PCs in
the university, so replacing all of them is not even imaginable. The
quesiton is not changing the whole structure, and switching to SunRays,
the question is, should the faculty buy these 100 PCs? Or am I able to
demonstrate that client-server comunting is a better soloution, so that
maybe in the future, eventualy, the university gradualy switches to
this kind of computing. I can't change the whole structure right now.

So, I have a very limited budget, to setup a sample lab. A small lab,
just to show dumb terminals, and how they can be adminstered and these
things. And as much as as I hate x86, I think for me it's the only
soloution, because it's cheap, very cheap. You don't suggest going
upper than 4 way, however I have heard of success stories, and Dell and
others are shipping x86 based 4 CPU Xeon systems. So I feel safe with a
4 way system. Xeon can (with a hack) handle more than 4 GB of RAM, but
I think I should go with Athlon or P4, so 4 GB is my maximum. Also, for
20 clients, I think 20 GB SCSI HDD, or at most a 35 GB one, would be
enough. Each user shouldn't store more than 1 GB.

I know, SunRays are cool, and I have heard of critix and am familiar
with it's technology, but this is not what I want. I want it to be very
cheap. very very cheap. I want to assemble the clients, and the server
myself. (that would be the cheapest one),

But, what I should I have in a thin client? I would be delighted if you
give me the specifications of your xterminals. what kind of a power
supply? do I need a video card? what about a small (say pentium 90 Mhz
processor, in than case it would become smart client rather than dumb
client). I don't need a sound card, speaker, or CD ROM, these I know.
And I know I need a ethernet card with bootp. but bot much more.

How should I connect the terminals to the server? is it a simple
ethernet LAN? Do I need a switch, or would a hub be enough?

And for software, I really would like to go the open source route, if
nothing, just for price. LTSP seems promising, I have to check it in
detail.

Your information regarding the setup in your university was very
interesting, However that's not what I am looking at. I can't dictate
to my university, what computer to buy, and from which manufacturer.
But I can build my own, and show them the advantages of this model.
That's what I want to do.

Any info, on how actualy I can build these xterminals, is welcome. Also
I would like to see if anyone has ever used a x86 system with 4 CPU and
linux on it, in a real way. I want to be asured, that performance wise,
such a server is able to service 20 clients.

Greetings