bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Implementing Thin Clients

From: Arash Zeini
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Implementing Thin Clients
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:05:48 +0330

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 03:13, Aryan Ameri wrote:

> Hi there:
>
> I am here to ask for help, advice, or anything you can give me.
> Here in the University, Winodws rules the desktop. It's not that I do
> not like windows, in fact I am happy with any soloution that works(TM).
> But the problem is, the current soloution that is deployed in our
> computer labs, doesn't work. I want to change it.

[snip]

Hi Aryan and Arash,

Both emails were long and I am in a hurry to leave for the doctors :) so
could only fly over them. So don't flame me if this is the wrong advice :)

Have a look at LTSP (sorry no URL at hand) and see if this project helps
you. I think it should. It is a project that has been deployed in many
official setups and is considered stabel and useable. And it really is
nice. Try it out.
If you need help with thin clients as hardware, these can be bought (I
guess) or put together by yourself.
Also have a look at th amazing OpenBrick project (sorry no URL at hand) in
this regard.

Or consider having dumb computers that run KNOPPIX from a CD-Rom or better
even Shabdix :) But no joke, this can a nice setup.

I have seen Sun computers in a thin client network setup with smart cards.
My god, they rock. Really, no joke.

Hope this soemhow helps.
Greetings,
Arash