bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Re: a question

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Re: a question
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:09:51 +0200

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 07:28, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 March 2003 22:48, you wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I hope you will excuse me for disturbing you so much.
> > I could finally load shabdix. I should say that it is
> > WONDERFUL.
> > Just a little slow because of CDROM!.
> > I read the shabdix read me. It says that SHABDIX can
> > be installed on a hard drive, but it didn't mention
> > how?
> > Now, may I bother you and ask how can I install it on
> > a hard drive?
>
> I don know this one either! But why do you want to install it on the hard
> disk? Why don't you using a more complete distro like DEBIAN?

I wrote that Shabdix info page, and yes, shabdix ( which is Knoppix based )
can be installed on the hard disk. I do not remember the exact procedure
right now, but there should be a script named knx-hdinstall ( or something
like it ) written by christian marlet, which installs knoppix ( and shabdix
in our case ) on the hard drive. for more informaion about this, you can ask
the debian-knoppix mailing list this question. The mailing list is hosted by
www.linuxtag.org

However, shabdix is a bloddy mixture of woody sid and srage ( Debian releases
). it works perfectly as a demo CD or as a live CD, but I hereunder admit
that it's not a good distro for everyday use. Shabdix unfortunately has many
problems, ( which I hope will be solved in the long term ).

further more, installing shabdix on hard disk is a pain in the a**. in
requires you to have an already partitioned hard disk, with some empty space
in it, and also you should have a swap partition. in a nutshell, it is not
the best way to install a distro

as Arash B also noted, I advice you to install a real distro as your working
GNU/Linux distro. Debian is the best choice in my opinion, but you may try
others. I don't like ReHat, mandrake is cool, but version 9.0 isn't bugfree.
and SuSE, Xandros, Lindows and Lycoris have license problems and are not
easily downloadable. I have read good reviews on a new distro called Yoper,
you might try it. or if you have a fast internet access, and really like the
idea of compiling everything yourself, Gentoo should be your choice.

Cheers
--
"Dismiss the weak and inferior, embrace the
 Evil and Possess your Box  before the beast

Aryan