Re: [Axiom-mail] Axiom and Firefox (newbie)

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Axiom and Firefox (newbie)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:54:59 -0500

SELinux isn't a firewall technology.
SELinux is a permission-based technology that hooks into various
operations to check the rights of the caller versus the required rights
of the resource.

So if you (as a user) cannot do localhost (127.0.0.1) connections, for
instance, then your browser cannot see local files.

I do not know enough about SELinux to suggest what permissions to set.
I usually just become root and do:

echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield
echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/randomize-va-space

The first one turns off SELinux, as far as I understand it.
The second one turns off random library load points.

These changes do not survive a reboot.

Tim