Re: [Axiom-mail] Terminal Fonts and Axiom

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Terminal Fonts and Axiom
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:35:00 -0800 (PST)

> Interesting.  I wonder how much flexibility is built into this
> arrangement.  Perhaps character sets which look better than either
> default or plain could be selected.

Well, to answer my own question - some fun can be had with the
following command:

)lisp (setq $|plainRTspecialCharacters| '(+ + + + |\|| - ? [ ] { } + +
+ + + |\\|))

followed by

)set output character plain

Unfortunately unicode is apparently out of bounds (pity) but perhaps
those wanting to tweak the appearance of output could use variations on
the above.  For exmaple, this input:

)lisp (setq $|plainRTspecialCharacters| '(- - + + |\|| - ? [ ] { } + +
+ + + |\\|))
)set output character plain
sqrt(x)

results in a square root symbol like this:

         ---
   (1)  \|x
                                          Type: Expression Integer

instead of this

         +-+
   (1)  \|x
                                          Type: Expression Integer

I expect the + symbol was chosen to mark clearly the end of a
particular line, so perhaps + is a more useful choice.  Anyway it
appears easy enough to tweak.

Eventually, some fun might be had with unicode support:
http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl?start=8704
although I expect the real effort on output formatting should go to
output systems more sophisticated than the terminal.

Cheers,
CY

Sponsored Link

Online or Campus degree Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's
in less than one year.www.findtherightschool.com