[Axiom-mail] Re: Options for building GCL from Axiom

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Re: Options for building GCL from Axiom
Date: 05 Aug 2006 00:35:52 +0200

root <address@hidden> writes:

| In this release I had to split the 'linux' build from the 'fedora5'
| build due to a problem with libXpm. I've been trying to figure out
| a way to re-merge them, so far without success.

In my conversion to Autoconf, I just call the Autoconf macro
AC_PATH_XTRA.  It has knowledge to find the "right" include and
library paths for X11 and set them in X_CFLAGS and X_LDFLAGS
respectively.  That way, there is no need to worry whether the lib64
path should come before or after.

Ah, also in my rewrite, there is only a single Makefile.  Variables
are instantiated at configure time.

The only issue that I need to solve (but I'm not worried about it
right now), is how to find "optimization" flags for C compilers other
than GCC/gcc.  I know the existing Makefiles special cases all of them
it knows about.  I'm however skeptical that they have been used
successfully recently to build Axiom.  It looks to me that all major
systems Axiom will run on have GCC...

-- Gaby