Re: [Axiom-mail] FW: [Maxima]

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] FW: [Maxima]
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:36:20 -0700

Mike Dewar address@hidden wrote:
> I don't want to be pedantic but I have a high regard for Reduce - I used
> it during my PhD and contributed a new version of the Gentran package -
> and this criticism is not valid.  Reduce (at least the professional
> version) comes with complete sources for all its mathematical content,
> just as Axiom used to.  Its very easy for a user to patch their system
> if they wish.

But it is more difficult to get your changes into Reduce, and more
difficult for other users to receive those changes.  In the long-time
limit, free(er) systems will see more improvements than restricted
systems.

Anyway, this argument isn't productive so let's end it.  This is a
vi/emacs, linux/windows, binary kernel module/gpl kind of argument that
will go nowhere.

Reduce is here and we have permission, so let's do what we can with it.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    It is unpatriotic to question the Kleptocracy.