Re: [Axiom-mail] FW: [Maxima]

From: Mike Dewar
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] FW: [Maxima]
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:17:35 +0100

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 02:32:21PM -0700, Bob McElrath wrote:
<snip>
> > Finally, about Reduce and licensing. Yes, it is "non-free".
> > Pity. But it is "almost free"... and I hope that we can
> > continue to put pressure on the current developers and
> > those marketing it, to fully release it as open source.
> > I have also repeatedly made the same argument to the Maple
> > developers. So far they do not "see the light" but they
> > have continued to move in the right direction.
>
> This argument will likely continue for a long time.
>
> But, when bugs are found, we can fix axiom, we cannot fix reduce.  So in
> the end it is beneficial to the free systems that are incorporated, and
> cannot be beneficial to the non-free systems.  (unless their developers
> are paying attention to us)

I don't want to be pedantic but I have a high regard for Reduce - I used
it during my PhD and contributed a new version of the Gentran package -
and this criticism is not valid.  Reduce (at least the professional
version) comes with complete sources for all its mathematical content,
just as Axiom used to.  Its very easy for a user to patch their system
if they wish.

Cheers, Mike

http://www.star.net.uk