Re: [Axiom-mail] Looking for beginning with axiom.

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Looking for beginning with axiom.
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 13:39:57 +0200

Hello François,

A first reply which might not be completely helpful.

address@hidden writes:

> And what I do now ?
> I can't get any useful help file.
> I only find help file in *.dvi format about compiling.

:) You're right, right now, there is only minimal developer
documentation, but Tim Daly and Bill Page are working hard to produce a
complete user documentation. More specifically, Bill is working on
producing some tutorial and Tim is preparing to release as free
documentation the Axiom Book that describe Axiom in detail.

If you look at the documentation part of Axiom web site
(http://www.nongnu.org/axiom/documentation.html), you'll find two
pointers:
 - a simple tutorial on the basics of Axiom and use of its numerical
   operators

 - a pointer to Axiom download section where, under Axiom_book and
   Axiom_tutorial, you'll find some introductory text.

> the )hd command doesn't work.

Oops, yet another bug.

> My first idea is to compare axiom with mupad (or maple) for my use
> with my students (first year after Baccalauréat in France).
>
> So I'm looking for a tutorial whith function names, basic types,
> matrix, solver, and so. Do you have any idea ?

Sorry, I can't give much answer on that

> If you want to have any idea about my works with my students
> I post 2 examples with mupad :
> The first one about magic matrix.
> The second about a stupid minpoly algorithm.
> May you help me to translate it, if it's possible...

I cannot (my Axiom math knowledge should be pretty much as yours). Maybe
somebody else can?

> I'm also looking for an interface in emacs because
> texmacs is a little too slow on my PC.

An emacs interface remains to be done. In the short term (after release
of the Axiom Book), Tim will resurrect sman which is the readline-like
interface to Axiom.

In the interim, you can use the OCaml program ledit (it is precompiled
on my debian, I can't say on your Linux distribution). Use 'ledit
axiom'.

I hope it helps a little,
Yours,
d.