RE: [Axiom-mail] problem using axiom in texmacs

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-mail] problem using axiom in texmacs
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 01:20:17 -0400

Koen,

For the new features since 92, I guess you will have to
wait for Tim's new version or else ask questions on the
Axiom user's mailing list. <grin>

Yes, I see your point about the limitations of the
pattern matching rule for simplifying your examples.
I have made some progress and can do more simplification
but I am not yet able to do as well on this problem
with Axiom as I am able to do using Maple's algsubs
operation on this same problem. But in working on this
I am learning more about Axiom...

I am not quite sure of your motivations and your background
in this work. Axiom is, as I am sure you are aware now in
an a new "Alpha" version stage. So there are a lot of things
that need to be tested and documented. If you are interested
in this, then I am glad, but if you are planning to use
Axiom for "real" productive applied research work in
physics, then unless your are very tolerant, you may find
Axiom rather frustrating.

I work a lot with Maple in theoretical physics and I still
find it the best tool available. But I am interested in Axiom
for two reasons: 1) it is free, 2) in principle, the internal
design of Axiom in far superior to Maple. But in spite of it's
age, Axiom is still immature compared to Maple.

Anyway, if you are still sufficiently tolerant of Axiom to
continue for the time being, I can send you my most recent
version of the TeXmacs/Axiom document where I am attempting
to solve your problem. Please let me know how/if you would
like to proceed.

I can show you how to "expand" expressions in Axiom using
Axiom's type system - something that is quite foreign, I think
to people who are familiar with Maple which essentially has
no type system but makes use of several operations (like,
expand) to manipulate expressions instead.

The missing brackets in some of the expressions are due
to a bug in the Axiom-Texmacs interface program which
appeared when I introduced the fancy LaTeX names for the
symbols n1, n2, q1, q2 ... etc. It does not handle the
\mathbf very well. I will fix this in the next version and
perhaps simplify the treatment of multi-character variable
names.

Cheers,
Bill Page.