axiom-legal

[Axiom-legal] Re: [Axiom-developer] graphviz

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Axiom-legal] Re: [Axiom-developer] graphviz
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:25:14 +0200

[ Tim, this kind of email should go to axiom-legal. I'm Cc:'ing to it. ]

Hello Tim and Stephen,

Tim Daly <address@hidden> writes:

> I've looked at your graphics visualization software
> (http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz)
> and read the license. It seems compatible with the
> Modified BSD license that we use for Axiom
> (http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/axiom)
> although I can't say that I fully understand all
> the possible legal ramifications.

I'm not a lawyer but from what I have read, this license makes graphviz,
albeit open source, not a free software (see clauses 4.2 and 5). As
such, any work you would do on it, Tim, could not be included in any
Linux distributions like Debian.

Other people agree on what I am saying:

If you want a legal advice, ask on debian legal or fsf legal mailing
lists.

As a rule of thumb, I would avoid any work that relies on non-free
software. But, as usual Tim, your are the benevolent dictator who has
the Righ To Decide(tm).

Yours,
d.
--