autoconf-maintainers

Bug in Autoconf 2.57

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Bug in Autoconf 2.57
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 13:23:18 -0400

After building Autoconf 2.547 I tried to run it "in place" without
installing it, but it said it could not find a certain file.  It
worked once I installed it, but it ought to work without having to be
installed.  (Consider the user who does not have root and cannot
install anything.)

I would tell you the name of the file it could not find, but now that
Autoconf 2.57 is installed, the uninstalled binary doesn't fail.
Thus, I cannot reproduce the failure.  But I suspect it is a matter of
not knowing how to look in the build directory for the files that are
supposed to be installed.  When you run Autoconf from a specified
directory, it should look there *first* for all the other files that
would normally be installed by Autoconf.