autoconf-maintainers

Re: 2.54 and 1.7

From: Mark D. Roth
Subject: Re: 2.54 and 1.7
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 15:11:18 -0500

On Thu Aug 01 14:30 2002 +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:
> This is against the idea of always producing self-contained tarballs
> (selfcontainedness is also what frees us from huge version-dependency
> mightmares of individual .m4 files).

I wonder if we couldn't address the version-dependency problem with a
mechanism similar to AC_REQUIRE or AC_PREREQ...

> So, my proposal is:
>
> 1. disable this ``feature''
> 2. release 2.53c asap
> 3. release 1.6d asap
> 4. wait
> 5. release 2.54 and 1.7 (end of august or septembre)
> 6. as soon as possible replace aclocal
> 7. fix 2.54 and 1.7 bugs
> 8. release 2.55 and 1.8
>
> 2.55 and 1.8 will free us once for all from aclocal issues.
>
> What do you people think?

How long would it be between 2.54 and 2.55?  If it's going to be a
while, I'd really like to get this functionality fixed before the 2.54
release, so that I can actually start using it.  I'm not sure what
timing constrants there are for the automake 1.7 release, but if we
can come to a consensus on what changes are needed, I'd be more than
willing to put in the time and effort to implement them for 2.54.

--
Mark D. Roth <address@hidden>
http://www.feep.net/~roth/