autoconf-maintainers

Re: 2.54 and 1.7

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: 2.54 and 1.7
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 17:30:18 +0200

>>> "Paul" == Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 >> 1. disable this ``feature''

 Paul> By "disable" do you mean disable it by default, or the more drastic
 Paul> step of removing the feature entirely?  E.g., would the following code
 Paul> patch be enough for now?  (I assume the doc would have to change a bit
 Paul> too.)

I vote for removing the feature.  It's not the job of autoconf
(the tool) to scan this site macro directory.  Giving users the
possibility to rely on this unsought feature will create
transition issues the day Autoconf integrate a clean aclocal
replacement.  Let's not put a spoke in our own wheel.  Moving
away from aclocal will probably be painful enough.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz