alsa-xmms-user

[Alsa-xmms-user] alsa dmix plugin problem

From: lanzz
Subject: [Alsa-xmms-user] alsa dmix plugin problem
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 16:49:28 +0300

i'm trying to use the dmix software mixer plugin for alsa, but i cannot
figure out how to persuade xmms to play via the plugins i've set up in
/etc/asound.conf. here are the contents of my asound.conf:

pcm.ens1371 {
  type hw
  card 0
  device 0
}

pcm.mixer {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 1111
  slave {
    pcm ens1371
  }
}

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm mixer
    format S16_LE
    channels 2
    rate 48000
  }
}

aplay and alsaplayer work fine with that setup, dmix works like charm
with multiple alsaplayers playing together. but alsa-xmms obviously
goes straight for the hardware device, eats the whole audiodevice and
nothing else can get through. i tried specifying "mixer" as user
defined audio device, tried also "ens1371", renamed "!default" and
tried it too, in the hopes that it will play through the respective
pcm from asound.conf, but then xmms completely refuses to play with an
"snd_mixer_attach: No such file or directory" error message, after
dismissing the error and trying to play again, xmms completely freezes
without any explanation and has to be killed.

my xmms is version 1.2.7, alsa-xmms version 0.9.10, all alsa packages
version 0.9.3 except alsa-driver 0.9.3a and alsa-oss 0.9.1 (all latest
versions downloaded today).

any pointers?

lanzz

--