aleader-dev

[Aleader-dev] Re: 2 papers of interest

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Aleader-dev] Re: 2 papers of interest
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:00:36 +0530

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 11:18:02PM -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> Two papers.  One is about testing and has some simple emotion inference
> paths in CycL.  Another is about emotion KR methodology and probably
> has some emotion inference paths.  Would love to hear any comments.
> Might help with your understanding of how to teach Cyc about emotion.

I mostly understand how to teach a KR system about emotion.
What really helped was looking at the code you wrote for KM.
Seeing code that works is a hundred times better than some
design proposal & hand-waving.  I still haven't finished
reading the code or the KM manuals but I will eventually.

I guess my reaction to your papers is that I don't consider
the KR part of the the project to be the most interesting part.
I know I need to do KR, but what is interesting to me is the
performance of the emotion predictor.  I believe I am really
breaking new ground.  I feel like I am getting better
repeatability with this model than with other models I've seen.
Even recognizing the importance of repeatability seems to be
innovative, relative to the literature I have read.

I admit that this is all subjective.  As the author, I am
probably the person least trusted to make these kind of
subjective judgments.  But there it is.

Given that you've authored a bunch of papers on the KR of
emotions, it seems to me that you are more interested in the KR
issues than in a particular cognitive model of emotion.  Would
it be correct to say that you don't care about the cognitive
model, per se, but rather how to do a good KR?  Even if this is
your perspective and interest, I think you will find that the
Aleader model is already well suited to KR.  To contrast, you
had to modify and narrow Ortony to make it tractible for KR.
Furthermore, I speculate that you looked at a lot of even less
suitable cognitive models before selecting Ortony.

So whether you are interested in the KR aspect or a model
that feels good, I think the Aleader model is a good choice.  ;-)

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org