adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Character portraits

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Character portraits
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:34:21 -0600

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

First of all, thanks for the work you did so far, Ingo.

As for Risartus and consorts: done very well :-). Although I am
wondering if they are too close to the originals. Maybe a slight
change to the hair or beard to look more medieval might be in order,
but I'd rather hear some more opinions first.

That is an interesting question: What is the current fashion in men's facial hair in the northernmost districts of the Kingdom of Cirdanth? Does Waste's Edge follow that fashion? Are they even aware of it; or do they simply do whatever Erinsford does not?

I think it might depend on profession and origin, as other things do.

Tinuv, as a resident not of a town but of a boat on the river, would probably be closer to the fashions of Cirdanth.

I think Erinsford, ruled as it is by a Duke who is functionally independent but still afraid of being noticed and squished by the Lord Mayor and his Council, would be conspicuously Cirdan in its fashions, even if it might be 6 months behind the current trends. Thus, Waste's Edge would be conspicuously non-Cirdan. The current fashion in Cirdanth is for Humans to be clean-shaven or to sport a mustache at most, so the men and boys of Waste's Edge would wear as much facial hair as possible.

I suppose what I am trying to say is: Tinuv looks good, or might at most need a little more beard. Risartus looks good, while Sulin's beard should be more full. Sulin is not so vain as to look deliberately like anything, but as a result of living on the doorstep of a major Khuzdunat Clan, he would pick things up unconsciously, such as Dwarvish jargon and hair styles. He would not go so far as to braid his beard, to draw it into multiple points, to wrap ribbons around it, or to hang bells off it, but I could see him having a short, tapered beard.

Finally, I think Cirades hair and beard should be tending to white or grey. I have always imagined him older than Tinuv, Risartus, or Sulin.

I also looked at the sketches for Lareth and Samis. I like Samis as is. Lareth's facial hair is spot on, though he might wear his hair shorter. Thanks, Ingo.

Andrew