www-de-discuss

Re: [www-de-discuss] education/edu-software-tuxpaint.html

From: Dora Scilipoti
Subject: Re: [www-de-discuss] education/edu-software-tuxpaint.html
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 11:37:04 +0100

Hello Joerg and all, and thanks for your feedback.

joeko wrote:

> 1. Do you know the Latin (or Italian) name of the Appooppan Thaady flower?

At the time when I was preparing the page I asked people at the
school, and they said "appooppan thaady" means "old man" (from Latin
"pappus"), and they use this informal name because it resembles an old
man's white beard. It is not really a flower but the _seed_ of a
flower or plant. The seed has white filaments so that it is carried
away by the wind for dissemination and children like to play with
them. They look like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gopangnair/5467862399/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/parakkunnel/5217583988/

My suggestion is that you don't translate it, and perhaps use
italics, like <em>Appooppan Thaady</em>.

> in German Anthoorium flower is 'Flamingoblume'.

In Italian and Spanish that's Anturio.

> 2. The lines should be interchanged (otherwise Internet Explorer causes
> problems)
>
> - <!-- Parent-Version: 1.57 -->
> - <!--#include virtual="/server/header.html" -->
>
> + <!--#include virtual="/server/[html5-]header.html" -->
> + <!-- Parent-Version: 1.57 -->

Ah! yes, IE goes into Quirks mode! Thanks for reminding me, I need
to change that on most /education pages. I'll do it ASAP, perhaps
today.

> 3. In 'Credits' there are licensing infos; the translator has translated
> this heading in German 'licensing'!
> - <h4>Credits</h4>
> + <h3  id="license">Licensing</h3>      # boilerplate
> or
> + <h4  id="license">Licensing</h4>      # :)

"Credits" should not be confused with licensing; it should be
translated as "Credits", not "Licensing".

Under "Credits", we are just mentioning the authors of those works
(the pictures and the audio files). The reason why we need to mention
them is because the authors have licensed their work under CC-*BY*-SA.
In other words, we are saying that *the authors*, _not us_, have
released *their work* under CC-BY-SA. This is because our readers need
to know who they have to give credit in case they want to use those works.

Please ask me if you still have doubts about this.

--
Dora Scilipoti
GNU Education Team